Growing Old Sucks

For the first time in my life I have had slight inklings that I just may be getting a bit (JUST A BIT) older. For all you readers over 35, do you remember the first time you actually felt you were getting older? Unfortunately, I've had a raft of incidences lately, which have all converged to give me a general feeling of 'oldness.'

Firstly, I am sorry if I'm the first to tell you this, but I've recently come to the realisation that we are actually older than we tell ourselves that we are? Yes, hope you're sitting down for this one.... On 'paper' I'm only 38, but I'm actually IN my 39th year. I'm in my 39th year. Perhaps that's why I'm feeling old lately.

Incident #1: I've got this fungus growing on my face that just won't go away (okay, it's a bad rash, but it's not pleasant!). I've always had the good fortune of having good skin. While all my friends had teenage acne, I always skirted by relatively pimple-free. And, although most women in NZ my age have wrinkles from a lack of ozone, my wrinkles are keeping at bay somewhat. But, this face fungus is driving me mad. My doctor insists moisteriser and a gentle face wash will help it abate soon and asked me to hang in there. After all, 'my skin isn't the same as it used to be' . . . I'm in my 39th year.

Incident #2: It's winter here in NZ and in true winter tradition, I've gained the 'Frosty Five' (okay, it's really ten if I'm honest). One thing I can always count on - - not happy about, but can count on it - - is that extra pounds always go to my butt. Not this year. The extra few pounds have gone to my tummy. Again, I've always been pretty happy that no matter how fat my thighs get, my tummy is rather flat. I can hold onto that hope! Not any more. If I wasn't past child-bearing years (that would be my 38th year) people could mistake me for being in month #2 or something. All the more reason for keeping up the running (which, I swear is starting again TOMORROW).

Incident #3: You know your greys are getting bad when your stylist consistently comments. I have been cursed with my mother's genes - - I should say, the reason I have nice skin and a relatively flat tummy (until my 39th year at least) is because of all the good genes she gave me, but she's also passed along her greys. Last time I was in to see my stylist (that's what they call them here. Mine is 'David' - a VERY heterosexual male you would swear is a beer-guzzling, unemployed rugby fan if you saw him on the street) he actually let out a little shreek. It was somethign between a 'eek' and a 'euww.' Yes, I'm grey, SO WHAT! I'm in my 39th year!

Incident #4: For some odd reason, this is the first winter where I have begun feeling a chill on my neck everywhere I go. This is definitely 'old lady syndrome.' This is the stuff of grandmas - a constant conversation in the resthome: "A bit drafty in here, don't you think," as she covers up her neck.... I've actually reverted to wearing scarves into business meetings so I'm not caught off-guard by a sudden wind comign in through the windows. I also am wearing a high-necked shirt to bed (and sometimes a beanie - knitted hat). I SWEAR I can feel something breezy around my head and Rod SWEARS he's not blowing kisses (no chance of that with this new sexy get-up!). But, I guess that's what happens as you reach a certain maturity. I'm wearing scarves now - - - I'm in my 39th year.

Incident #5: I have to have organs removed. My gallbladder, specifically. I have had what I do believe are gallbladder 'issues' for about 2 years now (another 'Bad Janet Gene'). The doctor has recommended its removal. Only old people have organs removed! In addition, this has led to that inevitable time in one's marriage when you begin talking about bowel movements and other such things as if it is normal conversation! NEWSFLASH: YOUNG PEOPLE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THESE THINGS!! That's okay, I'm in my 39th year.

I could go on . . . tweaks in my knee when I run . . . talking to myself and my cats way too much, etc.

But, I guess it happens to all of us. Soon, 'on paper' I will catch up and actually turn 39 on 18 October. On 19 October, I'll be in my 40th year. Oh, I just can't wait for what it is store for me then!

Heather

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Birds are Back

We've Got to Kill Charlie

Racing the Dog