Three Cheers for the Buddy System

A key life lesson we all learn early on during childhood is to use the ‘buddy system’ during risky situations.

I’m sure you can all think of times when you’ve had to call on a buddy and put the ‘system’ into action.

Swimming is a good one that comes to mind. I was snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef eight years ago . . . . there were sharks and nasty looking fish and the risk of sea snakes, not to mention rough waves hitting me in the face as I tried to clear my airway. The risk of me drowning was rather high. So, the dive master made me stick with a buddy. Smart thinkin’. . .

Tramping (hiking, you Americans) is another instance where the buddy system is a good move. When you’re lost in the dark bush (woods, my US buddies) on a cold winter night, you’ll be wishin’ you had a buddy just about then.

Women attending University frat parties. . . . Yes, I can still remember the days, friends . . . . . . it is certainly advisable for all young women to use the buddy system under these risky circumstances!

Using power tools . . . . Uhuh, I am known for my frequent – and skilled, I must say – use of the odd power tool (nail guns are my personal favourite). Rod’s usually my buddy on these occasions. Or, I’ve been on Habitat for Humanity builds where they match you up with a builder buddy. When you nail your clothing to the roof, your buddy comes in quite handy!

And, after this weekend’s tragic news of the death of David Carradine . . . Another instance where the buddy system is a smart strategy? SEX! Well, yeah, we all know it’s more fun with the buddy system. But, who would have thought you’d be taking your life (among other things) into your own hands if you choose to go it alone?

All the NZ media would report was that David the Karate Kid was found hanging in a closet with a rope around his neck with the other end tied ‘to another body part.’ The prude in me, at this point, put her fingers in her ears and started screaming ‘nah, nah, nah, I can’t hear you!!!’ I don’t want to hear ANY more details.

But, let not his death be in vain my buddies. Let this be a lesson to us all. If you’re gonna attempt some risky moves, take my trainer’s advice - - - for goodness sake people, USE A SPOTTER!


Postscript - - - prior to finalising and posting this blog entry, I decided to check on the internet how to spell Mr C’s last name. Only to be hit between the eyes with a headline that pops up on my news site home page ‘Photos Published of Carradine’s (oh yes, there are two R’s…..) Naked Body.’ Dear Lord, blind me now!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice to see you're back on the blog. Suspect Carradine's problem was that no-one wanted to spot his anatomy, with or without suspenders...

Popular posts from this blog

The Birds are Back

We've Got to Kill Charlie

Racing the Dog