Memories Rise as King Dies

What a sad week for us ‘children of the 70s.’ The death of Farrah Fawcett, Ed McMahon and now Michael Jackson . . . . my brain is on overload with so many memories associated with all three.

Firstly, how many of my girlfriends had the Farrah ‘do?’ ALL of us had it at one time or another. Man, I had my curling iron heated up morning, noon and night trying to practice how to get that flick around the face just right. All I wanted was to grow up to be a pretty and cool as Farrah! What little girl didn’t?

Most of my memories of Ed McMahon are of me hiding behind a corner or on the steps listening to my parents watch late night TV. When I heard ‘Here’s Johnny’ I knew it was really late and I was being quite naughty being out of bed!

But, I’m most sad about the death of Michael! His music is associated with a lot of ‘firsts’ for me . . . . his Billy Jean album was the first album I ever bought with my own money. I can remember he had a sparkly silver outfit on the front. I’d play it for hours! And, I practiced and practiced that darn moonwalk but could NEVER get it….

Then, when I got my first walkman for Christmas in the mid-80s, the first cassette tape I got given with it was Thriller! Man, I loved that song. It was great at school dances, cause it was so long . . . . but you never quite knew how to dance to the talking bit. . . .

Ah, well......it’s the death of an era, really, isn’t it? RIP my 70s icons!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Birds are Back

We've Got to Kill Charlie

Racing the Dog