Dew Dreams

Rod was a bit under the weather yesterday, so I was relegated to the weekly grocery shopping on my own. With list in hand, I was off to the shops...


Veges were first in, fish, meat, milk . . . oh, yes, we need some soda, so down the soda aisle I go only to be stopped in my tracks. There, on the corner of the shelf, was something of American ex-pat dreams . . . . Mountain Dew - and NO SUGAR (nothing is called 'diet' anymore) to boot! If I were in the movies, there would be a beam of light shining on the soda box and dreamy music in the background. Anyway, I picked it up, gave it a little hug and shot through the rest of the store, anxious to see Rod's face when I got home. "Honey, a little piece of America for you!!"


You have to understand, in eight years, this hasn't happened often, but when it does it is a very exciting time. I remember, for instance, the first time we found Oreo cookies (they call them biscuits in NZ). We bought and ate the whole pack in one sitting. Or, in Year One of our NZ Adventure, when El Paso started importing Mexican products - - - there were educational commercials on TV to teach people how to roll a tortilla!


And, our small circle of American friends know where to find every American product we know exists in New Zealand. A friend led me to find the only Dr Pepper in the city - - - "go down the alleyway marked Barton Street, hang a right and you'll see a hole-in-the-wall sushi shop. In the corner they have a fridge and it's on the second to last shelf in the back."


Another friend alerted us to the only Dunkin Donuts in NZ. Unfortunately, it's a 2.5 hour drive north, but be assured I have memorised the directions for next time I pass by!


Most recently, Fritos have begun importing. However, you can only buy the teeny, tiny snack bags - you know, the ones with about 20 crisps (chips, you Americans) in them. They are on the shelf in the Special Gourmet section of our newest grocery store and sell for $5 a pop. I haven't been that desperate for 'tastes of home' quite yet.


Anyway, back to my Dew Dreams....


I pay my $180 for 5 meals for two (yes, CRAZY grocery prices here) and head back home to my ailing husband, looking forward to making his day. I bring the first bags in with a shout, "I have a surprise for you!" Rod, not able to wait, follows me to the car and I pull out of the boot (trunk, you Americans) the box of Mountain Dew. He can't believe his eyes.


We decide to share a can, but not quite yet. Wouldn't this be better after a quick walk around the block (work up a thirst, ya know). So, we do that, all the time with the Dreams of Dew in the back of our minds....


The whole experience of looking forward to soda reminds me of a story my Mother-in-Law told while visiting in March. She said when she had her birthday as a little girl, her father would buy a bottle of pop on her birthday and all the kids would share it around, getting a few sips each. It was a huge treat . . . . this story was told in contrast to my Father-in-Law's habit of drinking a half-dozen Pepsi Zeros per day (but, he's given up coffee, he keeps reminding us!).


Anyway, back from the walk and we prepare the Dew. Two glasses, lots of ice (just like home!) and pour the yellow soda. We clink glasses and say 'cheers' and down the hatch it goes...... hmmmm.... take another sip...... hmmmmm.... We both look at each other with scrunched faces and say, "Doesn't taste like Mountain Dew." We finish the whole glass, hopeful with each sip that it will somehow miraculously taste like what we expected. It didn't. Must be the Southern Hemisphere recipe.


So, I have a whole case of Mountain Dew now, in the cupboard. I'll probably still drink it, but with each can will be sorely disappointed and looking forward to the real thing when we travel home in July.


Heather

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Birds are Back

We've Got to Kill Charlie

Racing the Dog