Big Deck Adventures - part 2







Two years ago, Rod and I built a deck at our bach (beach house, you Americans). That adventure began when, one day, on the front lawn, I wandered out about 15 feet from the house and said to my lovely husband, "I want my deck to come out to about here."



Rod took some careful measurements and then looked up at me and said, "you realise if you come out to 'here' the deck will be bigger than the house?" Hmmm, curiously interesting fact, but that does not deter my big deck desires. After all, Americans want everything 'big', right and my deck should be no exception!



My favourite thing to do, to embarrass Rod while building this vast wooden structure was to say in a very loud voice when the neighbours were outside pottering about, "I love my large DECK(emphasis on deck)!" Because, New Zealander's would assume I was saying another word in a NZ accent . . . . leave you to it to figure that one out (gotta keep the blog Rated G).



Several months later we completed the project and it is definitely the best feature of the bach by far. Although we both agreed the other day that it is not big enough out back. Go figure!



As a woman who loves ripping things apart, working with tools, generally building . .. . it was high time that we got back to deck building. I was looking out the dining room window the other day at a side yard that is generally used but which receives really great afternoon sun. As we partook of dinner in silence, all I had to say was, "you know what would go really well in that space?? A BIG DECK!" Rod just rolled his eyes and knew he was in for another project.



So, here's some pics of my big deck at the bach. . . . as well as the beginnings of our big deck at home. The concrete was delivered this morning.... Stay tuned for more big deck adventures....
Heather

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Birds are Back

We've Got to Kill Charlie

Racing the Dog